Thursday, March 4, 2010

To Be Free

In case you are wondering, I am a senior at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio. I am graduating after I finish up some final classes over the summer, and I have no certain plan for my future. I sort of assumed when I came here that by this time I would have found the man of my dreams and would be planning my future with him, since that's what happened to my older sister when she came here....

As you have probably figured out from my first post, that has not happened. However, I have learned a lot about myself and grown spiritually through my experiences here. God certainly uses our weaknesses to bring us closer to Him! So, I want to share encouragement and support for all single women struggling to live out their vocations. It is something I struggled with for a very long time, and still struggle with often! But I recently found peace and freedom in the Truth. The Truth is that God wants us. He wants us to come to Him so He can hold us close to His heart and pour His love into us. As St. Therese writes in Story of a Soul, “Perfection consists in doing His will, in being what He wills us to be.” Right now, He wills us to be content in Him, to be vessels of His love, and to go out into the world and share the love with others. Instead of trying to read the signs and figure it out, He desires us to simply love and to be who He wants us to be, rather than try to figure out what (wife and mother, religious, etc.). Because no matter what He wants in the future, right now (and always!) He wants us to LOVE!

One of my household sisters (A household is a sort of ‘baptized sorority,’ or faith community, that exist on campus at FUS. I belong to a household called the Little Flowers, who strive to live and love through the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux.) told me once after I confided to her about my frustration at not being in a relationship that there are some of God’s children whom He wants to keep close to Himself a little longer. She spoke of a beautiful image of a little girl walking on the beach, holding her Father’s hand. The little girl wanted to go play in the water with her sisters, but the Father held her hand tight and told her, “Be patient, daughter. I will grant you the desires of your heart, but not yet." He is not ready to part with us. He wants all of His children to remain close to His heart, but we are His special comfort, the ones who still seek True Love. He says to our souls, weary in the search, "Come be close and be rested." Only when we accept His offer will our souls be free.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment