Thursday, April 8, 2010

Share the Love!

It can get to be something of a joke on our tiny Catholic campus, to say "Pray for me" or "I'll pray for you" concerning the littlest, seemingly insignificant things. Why would I ask someone to pray for me? None of my problems are that serious. It seemed their prayers would be better served for other things or people concerning more serious issues. Something I learned recently is the power and importance of asking others to pray for your intentions, or other intentions that you have been asked to pray for.

God taught me this through various people, beginning with my amazing roommate. She had an interview for a graduate program that she was very excited about. She asked (perhaps threatened would be a better word... ;-)) everyone at work to pray for her, even those who admitted that they don't pray. The next day, one of them asked me how her interview went. He admitted that he had actually prayed for her (for the first time in years), simply because he cares about her and wants to see her succeed. See what love God can shine through us? A man spoke to God for the first time in years simply because my roommate asked him to. Her powerful example got me thinking.

A couple weeks later, just before spring break, a friend asked me to pray a rosary for him everyday while he went on a mission trip. Because of his belief that my prayers would help, I committed myself to that daily rosary. While on break, I also found myself struggling internally with lies that the devil kept whispering in my ear. I could not shake them off, and as I prayed, I realized I could not do it alone. I texted a friend and e-mailed my mom (I believe firmly that a mother's prayers are the strongest!) to pray for me in my struggle. As soon as I did, I heard God say, "I got this. Don't worry about it; just enjoy yourself and know that I am here." I believed He did, and went on my way, enjoying the rest of break.

Today I went to my class and found a different professor there. He told us that due to health problems in the family, our professor had to cancel class, but had printed out detailed notes for us. I picked one up and something on the top letter caught my attention. He wrote that he did not initially intend to write of his family's health issues, but that he was missing an opportunity to ask for prayer. He kindly asked us then to pray for them as they go through this troubled time. So I ask you as well, whenever you happen to read this, please say a prayer for his family.

Prayer is so powerful when we truly believe and follow St. Therese's little way in trust. God uses even the smallest prayers to work miracles in souls. It is such a simple way to love, and it works out for everyone. God loves through us when we agree to pray others (and they appreciate our support!). He loves through us when we ask others to pray for us (and they appreciate being needed!). And of course, all the prayers we lift up in trust console the Heart of God.

Let the prayer chain grow--share the Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment